When I think of Hannukah a few images pop into my mind: menorahs, driedels, and latkes! It's hard to think of Hannukah without latkes - but if you are on a low-FODMAP diet you might think that you have to miss out on this holiday staple. Fear no more - I am going to help you make a latke that will not upset your belly.
What you will need:
- 8 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1/4 cup gluten-free matzo meal about 1/4 cup
- 4 eggs
- Neutral oil like canola or grapeseed
- Salt and pepper to taste
What to do:
- Since we will not use onions in the latke, but we want some of the flavor - we will first infuse the oil with onion. To do this, heat about 1/4 cup of oil on the stove with sliced onion. Let cook without burning the onion for about 4 minutes. Remove and discard onion.
- Grate potatoes either with a hand grater or food processor
- Strain the liquid by putting the grated potato in a strainer
- Mix the strained potato with the matzah meal and eggs
- Scoop the mixture onto well heated onion infused oil on frying pan
- Cook until golden brown on both sides
- Rest on paper bag to keep them crisper
Serve with lactose-free sour cream and the green part of scallions, chives or get fancy and add some caviar!